Another Knight on the Town

Scenes set in the "Young Justice" universe.

Another Knight on the Town

Postby Superboy » Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:20 pm

Keeping a companionable arm about her shoulders and his other hand in his pocket as he walked along casually toward the rest of Gotham, Connor had to pose the question of the evening. "What do you want to do? Eat some dinner, go to a movie, hit up the museum, something else an apparent sixteen year old can do?" Conner looked sixteen and wasn't going to be allowed into a place that served alcohol, not unless somebody sneaked him in and kept him out of the line of sight of the authority figures there in. "I'd hate to run afoul of Batman for trying to drink illegally... No, really. Hate it.

He moved, with no end goal in mind, and perfectly comfortable with that for the moment. A casual pace and eyes that were examining the city like a tourist would. Gotham wasn't really a tourist town, it had some low and dirty crime that kept that from happening. Even at its best the city was dirty and though Batman shook up the underworld regularly, not to mention Wayne Enterprises' attempts to run social programs. Sadly, the justice system never really recovered and Arkham Asylum might as well install revolving doors. "Hey, we can go goof at a shoe store like a particular brand really does make one jump higher and run faster. That's always good for a laugh.
Superboy

Re: Another Knight on the Town

Postby Artemis Crock » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:30 pm

Conner's arm felt natural around her shoulders, and Artemis, for her part, was more than happy to let her arm rest around his waist as they walked through Gotham's darkening streets. She grinned up at her friend as he bemoaned his apparent age. "Do I need to get you sorted out with a decent fake ID," she chuckled, giving his waist a teasing, playful squeeze. "I've not eaten tonight, so food might be good..." She paused, glancing up and giving Conner the most wicked of little smiles. "We could always do the typical teenage thing... burgers, bowling and making out in the back seat of the movies?" She ended with a laugh, a laugh to hide the little tingle that raced through her when she mentioned the whole "making out" thing.

They ambled aimlessly through the city, well, the nicer end of it, anyway. At least Paula Nguyen Crock had moved to an apartment in a better area, for which Artemis was grateful. It made it easier to get help as and when her mother needed it. Taken aback by Conner's suggestion, Artemis giggled like a kid. "Maybe one Saturday," she grinned. "And we can drink malts at the mall, and braid each other's hair..." She rolled her eyes. The one problem with Conner's situation - looking like a teenager, having the physiology and hormones of a twenty two year old, and actually being seven years old - was how they could accommodate all his conflicting desires. Artemis squeezed his waist again.

"Aside from acting like kids... what do you feel like doing?"
Artemis Crock

Postby Superboy » Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:00 am

Artemis felt right under his arm and thus Conner thought nothing of it at all. He just kept looking around the city with his infra-vision, always on the lookout to do some bigger hero's job for them. Lots of shady behavior going on behind various closed doors, walls, and windows, but nothing that stood out as an instant crime in need of intervention... especially the three guys smoking from a bong in their apartment. That was the kind of thing that called for mundane law enforcement, if they could figure out it was going on in the first place. Superboy wasn't going to ruin their good time or his own to push around a couple of munchie having misdemeanor potheads. "You gonna hook me up with a disguise to go along with it? That'd be cool. Maybe let me use that necklace of yours, we can both get in free on ladies night." He grinned in amusement.

"Food it is, I'm told there's a really nice diner in this city... somewhere. I could eat a tray of cheeseburgers. You think they offer trays of cheeseburgers?" He looked around and then looked at Artemis. "I assume you know exactly where I'm talking about."

Conner blinked at the three part plan for the evening as suggested by Artemis, then seemed to give it some thought before nodding to himself. Very smoothly, very casually, he responded. "I've never been bowling before. I should have brought Sphere, we could have gone to a drive in diner, ordered chocolate malts and all that stuff." SB filed it away for next time they needed something to do. "I'll order a letter-man jacket, you can wear it. Blue with a red S just for the laugh."

Conner sighed in amusement. "Nothing wrong with acting like a kid... you might enjoy it if you gave it a try."
Superboy

Postby Artemis Crock » Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:15 am

She could feel that Conner was wound up tight, like a string, and it didn't take a genius to know that he was on the lookout for trouble, be it consciously or not. "You never could manage that whole 'off duty' thing, could you," she teased. "And you don't need a disguise. There are plenty of guys in their early to mid twenties who look like their sixteen or seventeen." She glanced upwards, giving him a reassuring smile. "After all, no-one really questioned you at college, did they?" His height and his voice gave him a gravitas that most sixteen year olds didn't possess, and, in her opinion, he could easily pass for someone in his early twenties.

A sharp pang stung her as Conner mentioned a "tray of cheeseburgers". It reminded her far too much of Wally, but the pain dissipated as soon as it hit. "Yeah, they do," she said softly, her face and voice etched with many, many memories. "But you gotta try their chocolate shake, and the cherry pie is..." She looked almost blissful. "Mmmm..." That was it. Her mind was made up.

Her jokey plan was out of her mouth before she could stop herself, but it appeared that Conner took it in the right way: as a jest. Pity. She grinned, though, as he mentioned that he had never been bowling. "Actually... maybe bowling's not such a great idea," she said with haste. She could just imagine the destruction... "But yeah, bring Sphere next time. Could be fun."

Artemis shot Conner a meaningful look. "I know... just not had much of a chance lately." Her expression turned teasing. "You volunteering to help?"
Artemis Crock

Postby Superboy » Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:36 pm

"They didn't put it in my programming, bleep bloop. Off duty... does not compute... whhhoooooomp." He made the sound of a computer powering down at the end, as best he could, and sagged against her lightly for a moment before getting back to standing. "You know, when you have super senses it's a lot harder to see a line between on and off duty. I can see most everybody around here, hear their conversations, and if anybody shouts no or for help anywhere in six blocks it'll sound like they are standing a few feet away to me."

"I'm convinced, you've made an excellent argument and I'm glad you thought of it in the first place." Conner chuckled in amusement, but he was definitely looking forward to eating a tray of cheeseburgers. With lettuce, tomato, and mayo. Awwww yeah. Then he looked at her quickly when she changed her mind on the bowling. "Why not? You afraid I'll be better at it than you? Do you make embarrassing sounds when you throw the ball? Does an ex-boyfriend work there? Wait... I've got it... that's where Sportsmaster has his league games." He was all smiles, chuckling all the way.

"I'm at your service, ma'am."
Superboy

Postby Artemis Crock » Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:58 am

Nudging back a little as Conner sagged against her for a second, Artemis grinned. "Then I guess we're gonna have to look at reprogramming you, aren't we," she laughed. "Downtime is a good thing... repeat after me..." She pulled her arm from around Conner's waist, waving her hands as though she were conducting an orchestra. "Downtime is a good thing," she repeated in a sing-song voice.

Artemis shot Conner a sympathetic glance. "I understand that," she replied, nodding, even as she companionably slid her arm around his waist again. "But you gotta learn to relax. I mean... what do you do for relaxation?" She held up a stern, wagging finger. "And don't you dare tell me that bashing heads is your relaxation. That doesn't count."

She grinned with ultimate amusement as Conner asked her why she didn't think bowling was such a great idea. "No, I just don't wanna have to be going to Black Canary, begging for money to repair the damage to the bowling alley once you get started!" It would be more like cannonballs than bowling balls, with Conner's super strength behind them. However, Artemis laughed as Conner mentioned her father. "Oh yeah, I can just see daddy dearest bowling. It wouldn't be pins he was bowling at, but the body parts of those who'd dared to score more than he did."

She smiled warmly up at her friend. "So let's go get some food, and see what happens next. Deal?"
Artemis Crock

Postby Superboy » Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:55 am

"... huh, what was that? Oh yeah, totally. Downtown has a food thing, that's totally why we are out here. See?" Conner pointed down the block as the light pouring from the diner lit up the night ahead. Situated in the ground level, corner suite of a much larger city building of unknown providence, the dinner was ubiquitously named 'Joes' and its fluorescent interior lights flooded out into the street, tinged by the pink neon edging around its sign. Conner chuckled and quickened their pace a little as his stomach grumbled.

"Actually, I try not to use violence as an outlet. Black Canary says that's only a temporary solution and it can lead to bad decisions on down the road. Practicing control increases control. Letting loose on somebody just makes it easier to let loose on somebody." He gave some thought to what he did when he wasn't working, which in his head equated to all the things that went with being a superhero, and what he came up with surprised him. "Well... lately I've either helped around the Kent farm or... hung out with you."

When they got to the door he unhanded her and pulled it open, waving her in. "Ladies first." Conner then followed her in, looking over the available booths and gestured toward the one near the back. "We'd be fine, I promise. Like I said, Black Canary and I have been working a lot on my control. That's probably why that chunk of concrete didn't turn The Flamer, that's what I've taken to calling him, into a grease spot on the building across the road that night. I soft pitched out of practice... can you imagine him in one of those bowling shirts, complete with mask?" Conner chuckled deeply at the thought.
Superboy

Postby Artemis Crock » Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:20 am

Artemis rolled her eyes at Conner's blatant and obvious "misunderstanding" of her comment. "Okay there, I think your superhearing's defective tonight," she drawled, a teasing grin slipping into place. "Quick question before we go in though... we gonna have to eat and run, or can we scrape enough cash together to feed you tonight?" This had been one of the dangers of eating out with Wally: when he asked for "the menu", he had literally meant "bring me everything on the menu". It had been an expensive pastime.

She nodded soberly as they headed towards Joe's diner, pleased that Conner finally had a handle on the uncontrollable anger that had drive him for so long after they had first met. He had mellowed considerably, and was far more mature than his boyish exterior would indicate.

A light blush spread across Artemis' cheeks as Conner explained how he had been relaxing lately, and she hoped that the reflection of the pink neon from the diner would hide it. "Well, you can hang out with me whenever you like," she replied, her voice quiet and sincere. Conner was good company, and it didn't hurt that he was easy on the eye, as well. "And... if you ever need help on the farm? You know you can call on me, right?" Artemis surprised herself with the offer, especially seeing as she actually meant it.

Artemis made her way to the booth Conner had pointed out, sliding onto the banquette, her jeans squeaking against the ubiquitous red vinyl seat. She shot her friend a challenging look. "Okay... so you wanna try bowling, huh?" Narrowing her eyes, she grabbed one of the grease-stained menus propped up against the salt and pepper shakers. "In fact... we could start our own team!" Amusement danced through her eyes like a firefly. "I think you would look great in one of those shirts, you know... and those shoes..." She blew a low wolf whistle. "A girl could go crazy for those sexy, sexy shoes..."
Artemis Crock

Postby Superboy » Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:30 pm

"Either that, or it's working perfectly." He grinned back, implying that it was a part of his powers. "No, I may not have enough money to rent my own place but the stipend from the League is plenty for eating out on occasion and the Kents have been giving me an 'allowance'. Not sure why or what for, but they said nobody works for free on their farm and Martha was very insistant about it." He shrugged and gestured her in ahead of him with a more polite smile than the previous grinning.

Conner smiled as he slid into the seat opposite her, assuming she'd want to play footsie much sooner than she'd be sliding her hand up his thigh. "And Jonathan says he likes you, you can come by the farm whenever. During the daylight hours I either work on small chores or I sit in my loft just... absorbing sunlight I guess. At night is when I get to the heavy stuff, when people are less likely to see me." He'd pulled the plow around one of the back fields just the other night, and that'd saved Jonathan Kent a 'shit ton' of money, or so the man had proclaimed before coughing at the sound that Martha made at his use of curse words.

"I don't want to drag you away from your fancy schooling and high falutin mass transit systems, I know how much you city girls like your expensive coffee drinks and what not." Conner chuckled and shot her a wink to show he was joking about it. He was hardly a country boy and she was certainly no tiny dog carrying socialite. Then she went back to the bowling thing. "Yeah, we can give it a go. We can get Garfield and Kaldur to join up and call the team the 'Super Friends'." He grabbed a menu also, and began to nod to himself at just about every other item. "Please, I look great in every shirt."
Superboy

Postby Artemis Crock » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:20 am

"Smartass."

Artemis grinned at her friend, before shrugging as he reassured her that he was going to be able to afford whatever it was he was about to order. "If your appetite tonight is half of Wally's, you're gonna need every cent you've got," she chuckled, once more surprised that it didn't hurt as much as it used to when she mentioned Wally West. "And the Kents are right. The work you're doing for them deserves payment, even if it's just the loft and an allowance." She didn't even want to mention the futility of arguing with someone who had more or less proclaimed herself as Conner's adoptive mother. It would be as pointless as her arguing with Paula Crock herself.

"Jonathan likes me," she repeated, a little dubious about that claim. Artemis grinned. "He might come to regret that offer." She waved a hand quickly, realising that she might be coming across as... well, foisting herself off on Conner. "Like I said, let me know if you need a hand, and, if I can, I'll be there."

Artemis looked offended. Almost. "Hey," she laughed, just about resisting balling up a paper napkin and tossing it at her friend. "I'd have my uses around the farm," she said with indignation. She studied the menu, one eye on Conner, as he mulled over the idea of bowling. "I don't think pink would be your colour," she remarked offhandedly, before breaking into a mischievous grin. "I know I shouldn't, not this late, but I think I'm gonna go for some pancakes." She twitched an eyebrow up at Conner, who looked as though he was just about ready to devour the menu itself. "Made up your mind yet?"
Artemis Crock

Next

Return to Young Justice