Just Another Day In Paradise

Scenes set in the "Highlander" universe.

Re: Just Another Day In Paradise

Postby Claire Ihi » Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:52 am

She loved to hear Methos laugh. Claire thought that there was something incongruous in hearing a five thousand year old man laughing like a child. There was something endearing in it, too. However, he soon returned the favour, and she found herself giggling almost uncontrollably. "Yeah, I can just imagine the reactions," she said, her voice dry and laconic. "There'd be all sorts of rumours going around in seconds about which of the Council I was fucking to be given such unilateral control in how you're dealt with!"

Carefully, Claire climbed down, her legs like jelly as she tried to stand, grateful that she could support herself with the bathroom wall. She grinned. "E ipo, you have no idea what you're in for," Claire chuckled. "You're lucky I don't have brothers, you know, otherwise you'd find yourself challenged with a haka as soon as we stepped out of the car!" Who knew, though? Her father and cuzzies might just take care of that, for shits and giggles. "Anyway, much as I love lazing around with you in the nuddy, I guess we'd better get dry and dressed."
Claire Ihi

Postby Methos » Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:45 am

"Honestly, the moment you reported contact with me and didn't end up working an Immortal in outer Mongolia, there were likely rumors flying. Though, perhaps not so harsh as banging one of the geriatrics on the Council." The reason she was getting such unilateral control was because, whether she'd been turned or not, she was giving them better access than they'd ever had while he was dealing with them directly. If they trusted her, they were likely overjoyed with the results. If they suspected her, they were just counting their blessings and hoping something of use would slip.

Methos chuckled as he rinsed himself under the shower head, quickly under the assumption that she would want to use what remained of the fresh water to actually prepare herself for her family. "I've been to this island before, when it didn't pretend to civilization and I was very much uninvited. All told, this is shaping up to be much less likely to result in cannibalism." Not enough for Vegas betting odds, but a bit better. At the suggestion of being confronted by the Haka he grinned at her did the 'Egyptian Walk' a couple of times. "I guess I should have practiced my ability to walk like an Egyptian a bit." His people would have enslaved hers and made them shock troops or put them on the pyramid construction brigade... then subsumed their gods and made a few new cults for themselves. Not much of a cultural exchange, but fortunately the two were separated by tens of thousands of miles and a few thousand years.
Methos

Postby Claire Ihi » Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:27 am

Claire grinned. "I can deal with rumours, e ipo," she breathed, the tiniest of smiles gracing her lips. "I'm just surprised they're still encouraging the 'fake relationship'!" Getting married to Methos was going to be hard to explain, though. Sure, they could marry in secret here in New Zealand, but she was certain that the Council would find out somehow. In all likelihood, she'd have to call and suggest it as a ploy to try to retrieve the Methos Chronicle: after all, if he was marrying her, he had to trust her, right?

Shame for the COuncil that it would be a very fake Chronicle that would end up in their hands.

Leaning against the wall of the shower, Claire watched as Methos hastily scrubbed himself down, enjoying the view as much as she ever did. She'd never tire of looking at this beautiful man, and a sharp sadness tugged at her at the realisation that he would always look this glorious, when she herself would grow old and decrepit. That was something she was going to have to learn to live with.

"Unless you want to head off to some of the more remote Polynesian islands, the chances of being eaten by cannibals is non-existent," grinned Claire. "But my dad might have somethign to say about this charming younger man who has swept me off my feet." She snorted as he danced. "The moves suit you, but... I wouldn't throw that down as a challenge to the haka!" Claire giggled. "Just prepare yourself for accepting the hongi*, and you'll be right.

* - traditional Maori greeting
Claire Ihi

Postby Methos » Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:12 am

"I know, as can I. And the reason they are tolerating it is because they don't really have a choice. I mean, they could snatch you off the face of the planet and drop you off elsewhere but then they'd be in the exact same hole you were meant to dig them out of. So, no matter what they've figured out, they're kinda stuck with what they're getting." They'd make noise, and threats, when they found out about the wedding. Whenever they found out about it, but it was no longer under their control. The Watchers had gambled and lost already, now any imagined scenario where they were benefitting from this situation was pure conceit on their part. They were welcome to it, he enjoyed not having to deal with their crap on a daily basis.

Methos grinned when she mentioned they might give him a hogi. He liked sandwiches... "Actually, I was planning on responding with a case of very expensive alcohol. Then I'd negotiate how many goats he wants for you." It wasn't an insult, the goat thing came from the anecdote that he'd told regarding what little he remembered of his native people from before his first death. They'd traded goats for people like that, one of his older sisters had gotten them a nice little flock to fold into theirs. She'd been happy, too, so far as he could recall. He remembered a smile, just not the rest of her face.
Methos

Postby Claire Ihi » Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:45 am

Methos was right, of course. The Council had no choice other than to continue with the whole "fake relationship" thing, not if they wanted any chance of keeping real tabs on "Adam Pierson". At the moment, Claire didn't think that they were suspicious.It was no surprise that they'd sent other Watchers to keep an eye on them on the other side of the world: after all, they had to protect their investment.

"Think I ought to make the 'suggestion' of a wedding, e ipo," she asked. "Make it look as though you'd be more likely to trust me if we were married?" If she could persuade the Council that that was the case, they would likely encourage the marriage, as opposed to panic that it had happened, and things had fallen out of their control.

"Goats," giggled Claire, mock-slapping at Methos through the rapidly dwindling shower spray. "Is that all I'm worth to you? I'd have thought it was going to at least be in terms of camels!"
Claire Ihi

Postby Methos » Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:38 pm

"Tell them I sprang it on you, and you can't find a way to say no." He chuckled at the imagined scenario where she's trying to remain on good terms with him while dodging the subject of marriage but he managed to catch her with the proposal and she's dancing but lets face it his footwork has more practice. Her family was all for it, making it even harder. It'd make a great play.

Methos looked at her in shock. "Wow, somebody has a high opinion of themselves. Camels, indeed. Besides, I can't imagine they have the same value here in New Zealand as they have in North Africa. What, with all your greenery." He sniffed in offended refinement. People and their not-deserts. He gave her bottom a playful swat and stepped out of the shower to dry off. He'd need to pick an outfit for meeting her family for the first time. That was a terrible ordeal to plan for. Armor? A suit? A suit of armor and a bowtie, maybe.
Methos

Postby Claire Ihi » Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:35 pm

"And therein lies the problem, e te tau," Claire murmured. "They'll never believe I can't say no to you... even though it would be the truth." She couldn't think of anything that Methos would ask of her that she would - or could - refuse. She would do anything to make him happy. How long she was going to be able to keep up the pretence of doing the Council's bidding was anyone's guess.

Claire shot Methos a look of mock exasperation, before breaking into a fond smile. "Okay, you're right. Over here it would have to be sheep, and more than a few thousand to make it worth it." She gave a strangled squeak as Methos slapped her arse, and dived under the rapidly dwindling stream of water. She wouldn't even be able to wash her hair properly. Not that it mattered. It wasn't exactly dirty anyway. She gave her scalp a quick rub just as the water ran out, and stepped out of the shower, wrapping a fluffy towel around herself.

She followed Methos through to the bedroom. Perching on the edge of the bed, Claire used the corner of the towel to rough dry her hair.
Claire Ihi

Postby Methos » Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:50 am

"Won't believe the truth but they'll swallow the lies all day long." Methos chuckled to himself as he picked out his clothes for the day. Jeans, t-shirt, sweater, light hiking boots, and a jacket to hide the tools of his trade. Everything else he wanted would be loaded into the vehicle awaiting them at the docks when they landed. He grabbed a pair of boxer briefs and sturdy socks out of the drawers and started dressing.

He considered that for a moment. "I could get a few thousand, it would just attract attention in the market. Your parents have a place to keep that many? Maybe I should start with the case of expensive alcohol and see how things develop from there. Maybe he'd be happy with a renovated kitchen, or I could introduce one of your sisters to Kurt." He waited for the reaction to that one. The large, emotionally unstable, and often socially lost Immortal was at that very moment likely haunting some back alley in New York looking for trouble and trying to work out his sads over Ellie. Methos could tell that sooner or later, if nobody else did it, he was gonna have to off the guy in spite of liking him.
Methos

Postby Claire Ihi » Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:19 pm

In all honesty, Claire was worried about how she was going to be able to explain their marriage to the Watchers. No matter which way she spun it, there were glaring great holes in the story, and even bigger holes in how the Council may react. She had no doubt that they would see benefits in the marriage, but it would also flag concerns that Claire might not be as under their control as they would wish.

"I think we might need to stick to 'I saw an opportunity to get closer to him, and I took it," she said ruefully. Simple, but probably the easiest point to argue with the Council. Claire grinned, glancing up at Methos. "You know what I'm more worried about?" Her voice had a distinct tease weaving its way through her words. "I'm more worried about the fit that Rupert will have!"

She laughed at Methos' reaction to the sheep thing. "You can't really attract attention by buying a few thou, e ipo," she giggled. "You'd need to be buying in the millions for that." Most sheep stations had several thousand sheep, so it was nothing out of the ordinary for a new starter to buy that many. "Not quite sure where mum and dad would keep them all, though." Okay, so the alcohol was probably not a bad idea in comparison. "You know you don't need to buy my parents off," Claire grinned. "They'll just be pleased as hell I'm off the market and looking to make babies!" The smile dimmed a little, and Claire pushed that to the back of her mind.

"You dare introduce any of my family to Kurt, and I'll have your balls," she said sweetly, throwing on a long sleeved blue tee, dark jeans, low heeled boots, and giving her hair a quick brush out. "I would hope you won't need your sword today, but... better safe than sorry."
Claire Ihi

Postby Methos » Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:08 pm

"I think you should do whatever you think you can carry off the best. The time of worrying about their approval or disapproval is quickly coming to an end, however." It was fun when it was just toying with them, but when it actually worried his fiance he found his patience for the Watchers really did have a limit. A limit that was quickly appearing on the horizon, and one he'd already planned for because... that was his nature. Even with all that in his mind he turned a completely untroubled smile on her when she mentioned Rupert. "His exact response will be 'at least somebody will be here to take care of him when I am gone, the man truly is hopeless.' He'll be overjoyed, I promise."

Methos chuckled at her statement. "It's not the fact that I would be buying a few thousand, my love. It's the fact that -I- would be buying a few thousand. When a source of wealth has displayed an uncanny ability to generate more wealth there are a great many people who make it their task in life to figure out how it's done. At least enough so that they can do it themselves. It wouldn't draw the attention of the world, just a very specific part of it. Made all the worse by the fact that what you just said tempted me to buy them more land for said sheep. Land and sheep in New Zealand... what does Adam Pierson know about wool that we don't? Oh gods, start a panic!!" He gave her a wink after acting out the proposed reaction.

He touched her cheek, having crossed over to her the moment her crest began to fall. "It's possible, I'm willing. Don't forget." He kissed her forehead and finished dressing. "I'd like to think that too, but I don't have the luxury."
Methos

PreviousNext

Return to Highlander