Always 'On Call' ( Tag Dev)

World of Darkness based games.

Re: Always 'On Call' ( Tag Dev)

Postby Vaydra » Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:15 am

He was antsy now, not afraid but bored. She wasn't interested in him in the way he cared a girl was. Typical guy about to cut his losses. She could hardly blame him and had he not been of other interest, she'd have not even walked up at all. Thankfully, the only people to come out of the bar down the street had been patrons headed the other way and into the night. Miles would likely have a quiet night on his hands now. People didn't linger much after a fight had broken out. Killed the mood, whatever it might be.

When he picked up on the undertone of her chatter, she could tell. For the moment, his attention focused not on ditching her, but hearing what she was getting at. All the more reason she cut to the chase right after. What she knew of Get of Fenris, was that patience was not their strongest suit. They were equipped better to act rather than posture. She shook her head slightly as he said it was common. "Not here, overly much. I think I've only seen it outside of on paper a few times."

She trailed off and let him speak his introduction with a smile. Though it faded as she tried to process just what she'd been handed with it. His name was a brief spark of amusement, due to the fact the place he was in was called Devon too, but this being an introduction to a stranger, she held it back. His surname was familiar, as it had been mentioned during her last trip to the caern about two weeks ago. The one they'd spoken of was far older though, and High Jarl. Could not be the same one. The tail end of it was easy enough to process too. Fenrir was another, though newer, form of his tribe's name.

She cleared her throat. "Devon, a pleasure. I have heard of Nailos from America." She said. Up to now it had been more or less, which was as good as anyone could hope for. Vaydra paused to get her bearings and glance around to make sure all was clear still. Old habits. "I am Vaydra Lakish, Nightmare Terminus, Cliath Ahroun of the Glasswalkers. I was hoping I wasn't wasting our mutual time."
Vaydra

Postby Devon alNailo » Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:50 am

"You spend too much time in the city, then. London is flanked by two different Fenrir caerns, one up river and one down by the sea. Britain, Wales, and bits of southern Scotland are mostly ours as well." Tribal lands be damned, the Fenrir had invaded Britain shortly after the loss of the White Howlers to the Wyrm and the Fianna had done precious little to gain it back since. Not that any effort they could have attempted would have met with much success. The Fenrir weren't known as the greatest warriors in the Garou Nation for nothing, after all. "Point me at who's been putting it on paper though, I'd love to have a talk with them about the Veil."

Recording Garou specific information, especially on such a medium (humans took things written on paper way more seriously than that same thing gouged into a tree trunk for some reason), was considered a big no-no in most places. Though Dev could see the Glasswalkers not respecting that particular ordinance. She commented on his family name and he nodded. "Yeah, the High Jarl and his family. Spread out to Canada too, now." At that very moment, his Grandfather was working toward panicking a Silver Fang king into doing something foolish. Albrecht, not the king in question, was starting to look nervous about the growth of the Nailo holdings too but he wasn't crazy... so, more likely than not, Albrecht still had a couple of years to call his territories sovereign.

"Well met, Vaydra. I'd thought you were, until this last bit. The oddest girls come out of the woodwork when one thumps a couple of skulls."
Devon alNailo

Postby Vaydra » Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:36 pm

Somehow, the idea of encroaching Fenrir wasn't all that comforting, but Vaydra had heard rumors of as much so it wasn't too much a shock. "At times, I think you might be right about the city. But, I've a lot here to keep me."

She didn't comment on the gentle threat he made to anyone who'd written down anything regarding his tribe. It was a serious offense, and they had been dealt with whenever found, and evidence destroyed. He would likely know it wouldn't be tolerated. "One might argue a glyph inked on skin should earn a similar discussion."

There were some lamps rumored to be made of human skin, and book covers too. Paper and skin were organic, but either could last, given the right preservation methods. She wouldn't pursue the matter though, arguing with a strange Get of Fenris in her city was not on the list of things Vaydra was hoping to accomplish tonight. Besides, it wasn't her body to critique. He pointed out the family connection and again made her aware of their range. She'd have to do a bit more research and ask around. Or just ask him, but then again he would have a bias. She simply nodded, thoughtfully.

She managed a light laugh as he explained about the girls who were into violence. "I know the type. Works both ways on occasion. Usually those who come out of the woodwork go back into it soon after the rush is over. Good if you need the tension relieved."

Of course there were occasions she took on one of those sorts of people. Trouble was, some didn't get the hint that it was a 'one night only thing' and had to be told. Made her take the change less often. She shook her head to clear the thoughts and looked up. "Well met anyhow indeed. If you're still after fish and chips, I'll show you a better place if you like. Dregg's isn't exactly known for gourmet."

Might as well. He seemed nice enough and she wasn't going to find out anything if she parted ways now. Besides, her other options were case the blocks on the way home. Far more interesting to stick by him if he'd tolerate it.
Vaydra

Postby Devon alNailo » Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:49 am

He nodded sagely. If she didn't realize she was deep in a country that was largely Fenrir territory he had very little doubt she had a full plate to keep her nose out of the wind. As for the Tattoo. "Anyone with any issue is welcome to come to me any time. Though, usually, ink on skin tends to only mean something when a government does it to you or you've been dead for a couple hundred years." If a human asked, Dev said what his uncle Rand always said. Gang affiliation. That tended to keep it off the flash art sheets. Plus, it wasn't far from the truth in the grand scheme of things.

"Or a place to stay for a couple of hours." In Dev's experience female Garou tended to avoid that sort of thing, for fear of being taken out of commission by a pregnancy that might very well force them to also have to deal with some out of the know asshole of a baby-daddy for 18 years. Not to mention breeding with non-Kinfolk had a much lower rate of breeding up a new Garou, which was almost a waste of effort really. Oh, and the Garou world still had a double standard when it came to males and females sleeping around. It was hard enough being a female Garou without others calling one a slut behind ones back.

His stomach grumbled and Dev tried to look cool, nonchalant even, though there was no doubt the woman in front of him had heard it and knew it for what it was. "I suppose I could eat a bit more..."
Devon alNailo

Postby Vaydra » Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:17 am

She nodded to his comment about a roll in the hay offering a sanctuary of another sort, usually as brief as the break from one's own thoughts lasted. Yet one of many reasons her trysts were occasional and caution was taken. Killed some of the fun, but necessary to avoid regrets. She smiled knowingly as the low rumble of his stomach sounded at the mention of food. Idly, she wondered how long he'd been here, and how his funds were. Probably fine, if he was related to this lofty and somewhat famous bloodline. But perhaps not. Time to ask at some point, depending on how this all went. "Settled then. Follow me if you want to eat...well in this city."

With a gesture for him to come along with her, she headed first in the direction he'd already been headed, two streets up, before dodging a quick passing car in front of them to cross over. Down that street another minute and a sign glowed faintly over a small cafe in an old brick apartment building's ground floor. Richard's Grill Bar was spelled out above the doors. "Here, this place is a little less dive-y. Dregg's has a lot of bar fights some nights. Not like that one though. Sam's going to feel that for a month."

Vaydra let him into the small bar. There were a few patrons at tables, most were lined up around the bar and watching the recap of an earlier rugby match on the screens above it. There was a row of seats along a painted brick wall on the opposite side, and she pointed that way. "Seat ourselves, menus on the tables. Nice and simple. I'll join you if you don't mind. Was going to have dinner before that interruption." She smiled, meaning no ill-will towards him really. It was the first point of familiarity they had, and if she was going to talk to him, might as well build on it and see if he was a friend.
Vaydra

Postby Devon alNailo » Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:55 am

He was fairly certain if he wanted to eat in that city there weren't many people who could stop him but he shrugged acquiescence to her request. Dev strolled along behind her, trusting that traffic knew better than to run over a 6'8" killing machine. If they didn't know, there was no exception for ignorance. He snorted amusement at himself for the string of 'I am badass' thoughts. Get in one little fight and let the testosterone take over, he thought. Right into some small place that likely turned over very polite locals before rifling through their pockets for spare change. Lovely, really.

"Which one was Sam?" He'd put four people on the floor, he hadn't asked or even cared for names. He proceeded to make his way into the little dive and over to the indicated wall of chairs. "Feel free," he responded when she declared she was going to join him for a meal. He'd changed his mind as to what he would be eating. Shepherd's pie. Oh yes. "So, start asking. We can go ahead and get those out of the way before your head pops. We can lay down some simple facts, if it helps. Yes, I am related to the High Jarl. Directly. Yes, I know him and he knows me. Yes, I am named after him. No, I'm not him, named after only." He gestured for her to continue the line of thought as he checked the drink list.
Devon alNailo

Postby Vaydra » Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:23 am

Vaydra strolled to the seats and chose one facing the door, on the far end of the room though. She was fairly comfortable and familiar with this place, but she usually preferred to see trouble coming if it was going to. She tucked her hair back behind her ear and chuckled. "The one who ruined your dinner, and in turn you rearranged his face a bit. Fair is fair."

She considered herself a civilized sort only when she had to be, which was a little more often in the city than out of it, but that was the trade off for having the comforts she had grown accustomed to. She nodded as he didn't object to having dinner with her. Was good, because it was easier than having to try and tail him around for the night and see where he was headed. Stranger in the city warranted a greeting and it was going to raise some questions. Had she not been waiting for a new cliath or two to filter in from the caern, she might have had enough sets of eyes and noses to have picked up on him before this. She made herself comfortable and waited for the wait staff to see they had people to order food. She raised her eyebrows a bit as he launched right into why she was likely with him. He hit the nail on the head with what he wanted to know, at least the first round. He wasn't the sort to dilly-dally about it, which appealed to her. Open, honest, blunt.

"I assumed you were related of course. It's an uncommon name. I didn't think you were him. I'm not green enough around the edges to think a young, svelte, relatively lightly scarred man is a High Jarl, Fenrir or no. No offense meant. He also wouldn't be a Cliath, for one thing." She gave him a small smile and a shrug. She herself was young and relatively new to the world of Garou, less than five years ago, thanks to being secreted away from it, she'd been raised as if she were human. It had been a lot of catching up, but knowledge was something she absorbed and adaptation was something she had been adept at for the most part.
"Named after him, and here you are in a country also named Devon. Small world and all of that."

Vaydra trailed off after that, spotting movement to her far left. A slight shift in her gaze said their help was on the way. The waitress was older then them, but not far past thirty if at all. Her red hair curled slightly, and light brown eyes looked over the larger female and the even larger male with a bit of hesitation at first. A glance back at the door to the kitchens saw her being waved towards them by a heavy set man who turned, the door swinging shut behind him. Resigned to dealing with the table, the woman's mood brightened as she approached.
"Hey there welcome to Richard's. I'm Meg. Start you two off with a pint?"

Vaydra nodded to the woman and reflected the same pleasant smile back. "Sure, in the mood for a good porter. Fuller's if you have it, if not, surprise me. Basket of onion rings too please."

The woman nodded and turned her attention on the young man at the other side of the table. "For you....sir?" She seemed to hesitate with calling a younger man that title, but barely hesitated to her credit.
Vaydra

Postby Devon alNailo » Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:16 am

"Oh, him. It's a lesson he kinda needs to internalize, maybe a month's worth of not being able to forget will help." His father... was full of half-truths and outright lies. His grandfather, a far more constant figure, had tried to explain to Dev the Younger (as Dev was known back home) why it was people who shouldn't always seemed to think it was an obligation to start a physical altercation with people their size. Dev had eventually admitted he didn't get it, it defied reason, only for the high Jarl to respond 'there is little reason to be found in the realm of humanity.' Dev's journeys on the road had proven that a few times over with scenes like the one he'd just left.

He chuckled, she didn't know how funny a statement that truly was. "No, definitely not lightly scarred. Though as unhappy as he's made the Sons of Fenris pack over the years it shouldn't come as a shock that he still isn't an Elder." Dev looked around the room, considering the layout of the space but utterly unworried about it. The structure was old, if worse came to worse he would go straight through one of those single layer brick walls like it was made of paper mache. "Yeah, the irony of the location isn't lost on me. When I rule Europe I think I'll build my castle here for the laughs." He fell silent as the waitress approached and he visibly brightened when he finally looked at the waitress. "Water, please. And I'd like a Shepherd's Pie." The air pressure shifted as the primal energy in the room grew heavier under the weight of a male Garou seeing something he liked. "Thank you."

He left it at that though, not going completely off the rails for a Redhead. Not yet at least.
Devon alNailo

Postby Vaydra » Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:33 pm

His dimissal of the man's painful lesson earned a smirk from Vaydra. Of course, he deserved it. Anyone with eyes could see Devon here wasn't worth picking a fight with. Big and gruff, twice the size about of those who'd picked the fight. However, they had no idea of the power that lay beneath the skin, and how lucky they might be to eventually walk and breathe again. This Fenrir was likely smart enough to keep a fairly low profile with law enforcement and such though, no use getting tangled up in it if you had a mission. Did he?

She realized they had yet to get to that. Oh well, if luck was on her side, she wouldn't have to push too hard to find it out. So far, cordiality had paid off. Vaydra found it got her in plenty of doors and it was easy. The smile stayed on her lips as he chuckled and confirmed he was not the man, but a namesake. She'd figured, but it was good to know. This garou before her could not be any older than she was by her guess, and a long way from the ranks and a jarl position.
"It doesn't surprise me. Then again, you don't get on top of any pile by being agreeable and following in the footsteps of others, er....anywhere."

She barely caught herself from adding 'especially Get of Fenris packs'. It was true, they both would know that. But the stranger might indeed take that as offensive. No need to flip tables here. Vaydra hadn't been involved back at the bar, so at least she'd be welcomed back. Him, probably not, but it likely didn't matter a bit to him.

She said nothing to him in response to his statement about ruling Europe. The over-confidence rolled off it, youth, Fenris, male. All contributing factors. She'd spied the waitress coming over anyhow, so it saved her from trying to say anything without a sprinkle of sarcasm. If he thought he'd rule an entire swath of independent countries, she wondered if sanity wasn't an issue anyway. After placing her order, she watched Meg turn to Devon, and his reaction to the woman. She was pretty, not really her thing, but she wasn't much into woman anyway.

Meg blinked a bit in surprise as he didn't order any alcohol. "Water? Well alright then. We got a lot of good beers and such if you are ripe to change your mind." She looked up and made eye contact as he ordered his food. Vaydra eyed him too, but only for a moment as she lightly drummed her fingers on the table and took a breath. Meg was not expecting the attention, and his look and words made the polite smile falter a bit and her cheeks even in the dim light seemed to pinken up. She cleared her throat and wrote down what the wanted on the small pad she carried. "Shepherd's Pie, house special tonight. Bet you saw it on the sign." She smiled a bit easier at them now, falling into routine of her job. Putting the pen into her hair, she gave them a nod. "Bring your porter and water to you in just a minute, food will take a few longer."

With that, the waitress was off, being flagged as she got close to the bar, but she held up a finger and put their drink orders in and food first. It was clear even in that moment of interaction, Devon had had some impact. Vaydra rolled her eyes when she thought Devon wasn't looking. Men and the hunt...

"So, you are from America. Where? I went once, about seven years ago, before my fate embraced. My dad took me to New York. Noisy, dirty, but full of culture. Rude people too." Vaydra remembered how insistent her father had been to get eleven-year-old her to see the good parts of the city. She'd loved Times Square at least. All those lights and sounds, the flashing advertisements. The last trip her and her father had taken before she'd turned away from him, her teen years had not been kind to their relationship. The blonde blinked twice and tuned back in. No use dwelling on old memories, though times had been simpler then.
Vaydra

Postby Devon alNailo » Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:31 am

"Depends on the size of the footprints. Sometimes there isn't a choice." He'd grown up in the shadows of great men. The Fenrir-Khan Alliance, the invasion of Cleveland, the Skindancer War culminating in the death of one of the Nation's most hated enemies, and then the systematic destruction of most of the Pentex interests in the greater Cleveland area. All before he was ten years old. The High Jarl had been eating up real estate every since and there wasn't much to be done about it. At least not that the rest of the Nation had figured out. Along with the Chosen of a Totem, the King of the Khan, and a who's-who of powerful Garou... the Nightbreeze Sept cast a very large, very dark shadow.

"No, thank you. I'll buy you one later if you're interested, though." He nodded at her bet that he'd seen it on some sign. He hadn't, but Dev had learned to give little victories to people. Especially when they weren't victories of any note. He let Meg leave and watched her go before, without looking, addressing Vaydra. "Don't give me that look. I would still like a warm place to sleep tonight and she's very pretty." Women and their judgements.

He shrugged. "We all consider the Black Forest in Germany home, but I was born in Ohio. I've been to New York. The Bone Gnawers there know how to throw a party so big it looks like a street festival... might have been a street festival now that I think about it. My family was there and every time we got on the subway they would clear out an entire car with their Rage just to keep people from bothering us and causing a real incident. Very educational." Seven or eight Garou packed into a metal bread box in the rudest city in America was just asking for fireworks without some pre-emptive decision making.
Devon alNailo

PreviousNext

Return to WoD